medievalism: (enhypen lightstick)
kestrel ([personal profile] medievalism) wrote2026-07-20 08:06 am

Blood Saga in Dallas weekend

If that doesn't sound like I was at some kind of cult sacrament all weekend, I don't know what does.

I was too tired after D2 to put down my thoughts here, so I'm going to go over the whole weekend.

Travel to Dallas
I left work early since my flight was around 6pm. I always travel at om-my-god-thirty in the morning so I don't have to struggle through TSA. Though, these days, they seem to let disabled folks through the priority lane. That's nice because people have gotten attitudial with me about the gap between me and the person in front of me because they didn't notice my walker. I look different from my ID now (different glasses and no hair) so they always have to call a higher ranking TSA agent over to approve me. Fun times!

However, the airport was not terribly busy. I got my back checked and I was through TSA in about 15 minutes. There were some storms around Fort Myers, so a lot of planes were delayed, mine included. However, mine was only by 20ish minutes. I had time to find a little sit down place for some dinner as I only ordered a fruit and cheese plate for the flight and would be landing late enough that I wouldn't want to go out again.

Gate checked my walker and got boarded quickly. The man beside me had to be like 8 feet long. Even with all the leg room of the first seat in first class he was folded like a pretzel. Poor guy. At least it was a short flight from SW Florida to Dallas, TX. My flight attendant had the most magnificent mullet I've seen since my own.

American Airlines first class is... IDK. It looks a little dumpy (much like Delta). But the service is good. Pre-flight service, drinks in the air, my meal, warm nuts, hot towel, all the usual things. Service makes up for the plane looking old and dingy. The flight was uneventful and we landed much closer to our original landing time than expected (despite taking off late).



I stayed at a place called Spark By Hilton. There's a gate so I had to call to find out how to get in. Apparently there's just a specific button to push for drop-offs. Lesson learned and I informed all my subsequent drivers of it to avoid any stress to them or me. The hotel was pleasant and clean, a little bit of the modern minimalism look that leaned a bit toward spartan. It's only 5 minute drive from the venue. The room is spacious enough to maneuver with my walker without any issues. It's at the end of a very long hallway that's quite the liminal space. I joked with my sister about it giving horror movie vibes, though really isn't that creepy.

Arrival in Dallas in a very liminal hallway


Blood Saga in Dallas D1
It's going to be very hot and humid both today and tomorrow, so I'm going to endeavor to limit my time outdoors. The plan of attack is to get to the venue around 4pm to get merch and hand out my freebies (Blood Saga pcs of the members with the dates and stop on the back). Doors open at 6pm and the concert starts at 7:30.


I have NOT memorized the whole fan chant for Go Big or Go Home, but I have the part where we shout the current six members' names down. I may cheat and download the Romanized guide to my phone. Could be fruitless since I try to keep my phone tucked away at events. My bag is packed, lightstick synced to my Bluetooth, freebies in my walker...

I'll start getting ready soon since I want to look flawless for the 2.6 seconds before I sweat.

Blood Saga in Dallas D1 outfit and hair Blood Saga in Dallas D1 makeup and hair taken on D1, worn both days


Feeling a positive sort of nerves. I've never seen ENHYPEN live yet and I really look forward to it! The energy they've put into this tour bleeds through concert videos and I just know it will be great here, too. Jungwon, my bias and "son" will be fantastic. Looking forward to every moment where Jay is center, some choice moments for all the other members. JAKE'S HAIR.

I just hope that ENGENE behave properly and don't disrespect the members by using old fan chants that include Heeseung. He's not here. He didn't contribute anything to this tour. If anything, him leaving may have made things more difficult for them as they had to re-arrange vocal distribution in songs, adapt choreo for six members instead of seven, and I've even heard rumors they re-recorded all their backing vocals to take Heeseung's voice out (unconfirmed). They had a lot to learn in what I can only imagine is a short time. Though, who knows the actual time frame since I'm sure Heeseung's departure was less a shock to them as it was to fans. Still, #HEELEFT and chanting for someone who isn't there is rude. I want an encore, so let's all behave, ENGENEs. Junwong doesn't want us to fight.

Upon arriving, there was a big crowd and two lines that stretched around the arena. The umbrella I took for mobile shade was broken, so standing in the line for hours upon hours in 93F with 94% humidity and little cloud cover was a no-go. There were several restaurants in the plaza with the venue, so I decided to get a meal. After eating, I stayed on the more shaded south side of the venue. There's a big open plaza where ENGENEs were mingling and exchanging freebies.

Only a few people asked for Heeseung, and they had the good sense (imo) to be bashful about it. I heard some people practicing the old fan chant and I gently let them know that chant is why Peruvian ENGENEs didn't get a encore. I don't know why this is hard. ENHYPEN has six members currently. Heeseung left. It's disrespectful to chant the name of someone who is not on the stage, had nothing to do with the tour, and whose vocals they even removed from backtracks. Jungwon and Jay have both asked us indirectly and directly to not do that.



Some kind folks in line let me join in with them. I think they felt bad because there was no designated entrance for ADA guests and I was so hot I ripped my wig off and sought shade. We were close to the front, but people getting dropped off right at the doors were pushing in and cutting off those who'd been waiting. I'm not surprised since that's how it's happened at almost every kpop concert I've been to. I got in and luckily my section was directly through the north doors I came through! The usher showed me to my seat and then I toddled off to check the indoor merch line (too long, it extended beyond the roped off area and became an unorganized cluster beyond it which I didn't want to maneuver in my walker. So I made my way to the restroom to touch up my makeup and put my hair back on (it was a bit cold!). I grabbed a Sprite from the concession area and settled in. I also let the usher know he'd see me in the same seat for D2.

Blood Saga in Dallas D1 selfie from my seat Blood Saga in Dallas D1 selfie with lightstick


I noticed the blood dripping off the Blood Saga logo was slowly pooling and the pool growing higher. The concert kicked off when the pool grew higher than the lettering in the center of the screen. First (and likely only) concert of the year, so my heart is racing with excitement. Also my first time seeing ENHYPEN live.

I'll do full details later, but here are first impressions after D1 concluded.

A big thank you to ENGENES for doing the correct fan chant. My pulse quickened when Go Big or Go Home began because I wasn't sure we'd behave properly. BUT WE DID. I know the members were relieved (Jungwon even said as much in his closing ment: "Without saying more, I'll say I'm really happy!"). Everyone loses their minds during Jungwon's center part toward the end of Big Girls Don't Cry. Also, Jay is the last member I expected a slutty body roll from (the crowd ate it up).

Sunoo in Moonstruck is my Roman Empire. Boy is flawless and deserves every single cheer he gets for his new part in that song. He actually sounds like an angel live. I don't care what anyone says, his vocals on that part are far less grating than Heeseung's. Boy's finally getting his turn to shine and I love it for him.

SUNGHOON'S ARMS.

Jungwon is such an energetic dancer. I knew it from videos of them performing live, but I'm just amazed by this level of energy and that he can still sing while dancing! I did notice when he's singing something that's difficult, he opens his eyes a bit wider. Mostly higher range parts, so I can relate. I wonder of he squeezes his butt cheeks, too, like I was taught to do for high notes.

Center Jay, specifically, is my bias wrecker. I know this about myself and I was still not prepared for the effect he had on me live. He just... when he takes the center he dials up his charisma and it's impossible for me to look at anyone but him. It's a true dancer's skill to be able to blend with the group and only shine when they're center. Jay's nailed it. My rock star, forever!

I thought Ni-Ki was being a big flirt, but in retrospect, I think he said "I love you, Dallas" not "I love you, darlings." My gut was that he's trying to out-flirt Jake who was standing beside him during the ments. Jake confided that his voice wasn't in good condition, but said our energy gave him the strength to do his best tonight. Also that this was a very memorable first stop for the US leg of the tour. My heart!

Sunoo saying we were slaying! Who keeps teaching kpop idols this slang? Never stop! Also, the quiet little way he barked back when he heard the crowd barking for him. (I do wish this would stop in kpop. It's embarrassing but I don't do it and it's not hurting anyone so whatever.)

I'm beginning to suspect Jay is very food motivated. He mentioned being hungry in the final ment in a way that playfully suggested we needed to hurry up and leave so they could go have supper. Truly, his old man vibes are immaculate.

During the VCR before the encore, they showed signs from the audience and someone's read "VOTE JUNGWON 4 PRESIDENT" and the audience burst in roaring cheers.

The members are truly fearless. They put on strangers' hats which were thrown to them on stage from the audience. Sirs, do you not know how much we sweated outside waiting for you? Do you not fear head lice???

I met some STAYs and ATINYs as well! The STAYs mostly caught my attention because they had some SKZoo with them. I showed them all my QuokkaBit collection, and they seemed quite impressed.

As I was leaving, my wig cap must have shifted at some point leaving me a little uncomfy, so I ripped my wig off right on the street. There must have been a witness because I heard a very shocked sound come from someone nearby me. Woops!

I came back to the hotel with quite the haul of freebies for about 2 hours of mingling.

Blood Saga in Dallas D1 freebies


Blood Saga in Dallas D2
It's even hotter today. 96F. Having given up on merch, I decided to head out to get lunch at my favorite hot pot chain.

Blood Saga in Dallas D2 lunch at Happy Lamb hot pot


I haven't been to a Happy Lamb since I moved from Seattle. The only hot pot in my area has two meat options for people who don't enjoy sea food, so it's not great for me. To be safe, I avoided any lettuces or cabbages. I don't need the explosive diarrhea parasite, please and thanks.

My D2 concert look was a little less (in terms of fabric and materials), but all black so I knew I wouldn't do well in the sun. I also put on all the bracelets I received on D1 and decorated my bag!

Blood Saga in Dallas D2 outfit and hair Blood Saga in Dallas D2 makeup Blood Saga in Dallas D2 bracelets from D1
Blood Saga in Dallas D2 bag decoration Blood Saga in Dallas D2 bag decoration Blood Saga in Dallas D2 bag decoration


These Jungwon charms were originally on my bag, but I moved them to my skirt's belt instead. I have to feel like I'm a good Jungwon stan by showing up for my favorite kpop boy.

Blood Saga in Dallas D2 #1 Jungwon fan


I arrived at the venue around 5pm and tucked in to a sports bar playing the World Cup final. I had a Sprite and some chips because I felt bad for essentially loitering, but with all the shouting over the match I had to leave quickly. As I was paying zero attention to the TV so the screams and cheers seemed very random to me and started to make me feel anxious.

Outside, I parked my walker on a grate in the shade that seemed to be expelling air conditioned air. I sat on my grate beside them and got a few more freebies. I think the freebie winner goes to the one below:

Blood Saga in Dallas D2 freebie, part 1
THE SURPRISE


I made friends there with a mom and daughter who said they'd hold a place for me with them in line. The mom, who probably wasn't any older than me, went up when people started cutting the line and told the security staff I couldn't be out in the heat and the sun and got us all in faster. She also advised them that the line had formed hours ago and which direction in went in since they didn't seem to know and were allowing people who are being dropped off at the door to come in (cutting the line). Many thanks to her for keeping me out of the heat. I was planning to wait on my shaded grate until most of the line passed me. It wasn't bad there. But I'm always grateful for the kindness of strangers, especially when I'm the beneficiary of that kindness!

My usher greeted me enthusiastically and raved about my D2 hair. In fact, I got so many compliments on that wig from ENGENEs and venue staff alike, I may wear it more regularly once I clean it. I definitely sweated in the heat. Hit the restroom to fix my makeup and make any hair adjustments since I was sitting on a very mild wind machine. Grabbed another Sprite from concessions and got to my seat.

Blood Saga in Dallas D2 selfie showing the view from my seat Blood Saga in Dallas D2 selfie with lightstick


Once again, the crowd filed in. I ran into someone I've seen at other concerts in Florida, so we spent about 15 minutes catching up. She was seated in the same section at me. Seeing her always reminds me to be grateful. A lot of people I've met in the ADA seating at concerts are people with terminal conditions who just want to enjoy however much is rest of their life. I'm glad I'm not in a position like that, but also take inspiration from them wanting to live their most joyful lives while while they can. It feels a little more special to share the magic of music with them.

Once the blood rose on the screen, the Blood Saga D2 began!

Blood Saga in Dallas D2


Immediate impressions after D2 concluded:

In the ending ment, Jay wanted so badly to show off his longhorn belt buckle and the camera person was TERRIFIED to zoom in on that area. Throughout most of the show, unless it was a group shot of the members dancing, they always showed the members from the waist up. In this ment, the camera zoomed in a smidge, then immediately pulled back. I think the camera person saw their life flash before their eyes. Jay, however, put on a cowboy hat and posed with one foot up on a speaker. He may from Seattle, but I think he's a Texan at heart.

I felt more energy from the D2 crowd. I think the members did, too. After the opening stage, Jake commented that he thought we were more enthusiastic than the D1 crowd. D2 audience definitely sang along more and louder. It was great!

Jungwon continues to be the cutest. During the cheering competition where they divide up the arena, he decided in addition to right side vs. left side, he said we need to do floor vs. seats. It was pointed out there were fewer people on the floor and he said "But they paid more money so they should be more enthusiastic!" He asked the people in the pit to scream and he looked offstage to their interpreter and said "People in the floor? People on the floor? In, on?" My adorable child.

While in line I'd seen someone with a sign that said "SUNGHOON FLEX" and I think he saw it because he pointed into the crowd at one point, then flexed both arms. I'm pretty sure that's against the Geneva Convention. Who allowed him? Sunghoon also flexed to get his side of the arena to scream louder. Boy knows his audience. Jake was encouraging it, of course!


The other sign I enjoyed was shown on the screen during the ENGENE Time before the final stage. It read "JUNGWON YOU'RE THE WON FOR ME." This is particularly funny to me since I joke about interchanging 'one' and 'won' and even have to RP accounts using won puns (wonandonly and wonwhogotaway). Also, when the screens parted for the final stage, Jungwon was doing a cute little hip wiggle in time to the opening notes of Lost Island. DYING FROM CUTENESS!

Jay's slutty body roll must be a part of the choreo now. I was sweating, I heard someone gasp near me; the crowd loved it. Jay also "forcing" his affection on Sunoo was adorable. Once again, the members donned cowboy hats from the audience. Jake wore one and kissed it before tossing it back to the ENGENE. Also, Jungwon for president, y'all, he's ready!

Blood Saga in Dallas D2 Wonnie in USA flag hat 1/3 Blood Saga in Dallas D2 Wonnie in USA flag hat 2/3 Blood Saga in Dallas D2 Wonnie in USA flag hat 3/3


The final ment made (and still is making) me so emotional. It wasn't the usual "we love yous" but the "you have to stay safe and healthy and happy so we can see you agains" that are sticking with me. Maybe because Sunoo was ill in Mexico City and Jake said on D1 his throat wasn't in good condition that their worry for our well-being really struck me. I also wonder if this tour means something more the guys since they just lost a member and this is proving that they're still loved and valued as the group is now. After all the hatred and vitriol being directed at them still for something that the six of them had no control over, it has to feel good to see an arena full of fans who adore them and hear us respecting them by doing the correct fan chant. I hope the rest of their tour goes well!

The Setlist
CW: Videos contain a LOT of flashing, strobe-like lights and screaming fans.

This shows the Seoul setlist but both days in Dallas were the same. The only change was what was said during the ments and what song was played during ENGENE Time. On D1, they played Go Big or Go Home for the sing-along and on D2 it was Drunk-Dazed.



The opening VCR starts with the members silhouettes on a red screen then goes into an action sequence of each member (mirror imaged on both sides of the screen) striking out at the screen with a knife. Each strike "cracks" the screen until it finally shatters. The lights come up and the members are on stage! They're in black, some faux leather, and looking quite apocalyptic! The opening stage consists of Knife, Daydream, Outside, and Brought the Heat Back.



The opening ment followed where the group introduce themselves. They thanks ENGENEs for coming and said it had been too long (three years since Fate Tour). Jay said they were here to show us a bigger and better version of themselves. Then they polled the audience for first time ENHYPEN concert attendees, repeat attendees, and who's coming back tomorrow for D2. Sunghoon's English charms me. I truly hope he never loses his thick accent when speaking it.

The second stage was one song: No Way Back. The members were on raised platforms that varied in height throughout the song. They sang into stylized mic stands. The song concludes with the VCR of the members walking through an doorway that slid open revealing a white light at the end of a cave-like tunnel.



When the members return they're in a costume change. Not sure how to describe this one other than street casual. Like jeans and shirts and jackets for some added layers. They perform Big Girls Don't Cry. There's another ment, then they slow the pace down with some mellow songs: Sleep Tight, Bills, and Moonstruck (my beloved). Moonstruck is the only recording I took in both days.



After toning it down, they went right back into hype music with Paranormal, Blockbuster, Go Big or Go Home, and Future Perfect (Pass the Mic).



Next up was a super cool VCR. Each member was alone and being hunted by hooded figures. Eventually, they have to engage the hunters and each member, either alone or in pairs, fights and defeats the hunters. All six join up and flee to a roof where a large swarm of bats flies over head. Down below where the bats landed are now hundreds of hooded hunters.

This leads into performances of Stealer, Drunk-Dazed, and Bite Me with a costume change into um... post-apocalyptic club semi-formal? All I know is it looks like Sunoo and Sunghoon have toilet paper wrapped around their trousers LOL!



Next, is a ment where they members ask fi we're still enjoying ourselves and that we're on the last two songs/final stage.



After a brief delay, the screens alright informing us that ENHYPEN are trapped in darkness and need our voice to free them. It's ENGENE TIME! A game displays where the audience has to scream out the names in order as they light up in varying complexity of orders. Then there's a sing-along. On D1 we sane Go Big or Go Home and on D2 it was Drunk-Dazed. Upon completion of ENGENE TIME, the screen tells us the members are on the Lost Island. The screens part to reveal the members in casual clothes/Blood Saga merch. They perform Lost Island in full, and a medley of XO (Only If You Say Yes), Blind, and Helium.



And then, the final ment, encore of Shout Out, and final goodbyes.



The Return
Sadly, all good things must end and I had an early morning flight Sunday morning to get home. I made the mistake of setting my alarm after midnight and it didn't go off Sunday morning. I'm just lucky I'm used to waking up super early. I had to rush to finish packing, opted against a shower since I took one after the show, and went out barefaced. I made it to the airport on time, and the trip back to Florida was uneventful.

Photo of me on the plane home from Blood Saga in Dallas


Truly, the only things I missed were Cleo and our toilet paper.